I am fully convinced this program is where I need to be, that this past year, and years of waiting in mixed peace, contentment and restlessness before that, have been preparation for this. But I am also certain it will be exhausting and difficult. My life just began to take root in Denver and now I am leaving beloved family and friends and a new community at my church that God unexpectedly blessed me with this year. More than that, I am entering years of intense study and a lifetime of devotion to the "long defeat" (as Paul Farmer calls it in Mountains Beyond Mountains) fighting for social justice in and beyond health care. My hope remains in the promise that my nano role in medicine, my desire to be useful to God and work against the grain to bring justice and healing to distant lands, is actually already founded in an eternal victory (John 16:33).
In the coming weeks and months, I will share more of the words, lyrics, verses, and ways God has directed me here (I have an entire list but didn't want to overwhelm the first posting). And I'll be excited to share pictures of my new home in the middle of the desert, bound-to-be-ridiculous anecdotes, tidbits of my class lessons (for fellow science nerds), and further ways God meets me in the promised land!
There is nothing more encouraging to me than words - they give me energy and a smile to keep moving forward - whether short letters, messages, or emails. By no means am I soliciting your support, but if you have a free second and feel so inclinced, that (and prayer, lots of it!) is the best way to support me as I begin my four year trek through medical school.
______________________________________________
(excerpts of the song that spoke to my heart. something about living in colorado makes the mountains that much more glorious in this context)
Saviour, He can move the mountains,
My God is Mighty to save,
Forever, Author of salvation.
So I give my life to follow
Everything I believe in:
Everyone needs compassion,
Love that's never failing;
The Hope of nations.
Shine your light and let the whole world see,
The glory of the risen King.
He can move the mountains.
My God is Mighty to save,
He is Mighty to save.
"what do we leave behind when we cross each frontier? each moment seems split in two; melancholy for what was left behind and the excitement of entering a new land." -motorcycle diaries. :)
ReplyDeletefull of pride and excitement for you. i'll be following along, every step of the way!
My dearest Claire! I hear you slept a whole 3 hours on the plane, and that at 11:40 pm (our time-sometime I'll figure out your time) you were sitting in Tel Aviv waiting for your bus! I love these snippets. Welcome to your new home. You go girl! I love you!
ReplyDeleteAunt Gretchen
We enjoy reading your travelblog! What an experience! When do you rest? Good luck in school and we love you! Grandma and Grandpa
ReplyDeleteClaire: Our SS class was moved by your comments about awareness of our prayers for your well-being. By coincidence, today our choir sang, "He, watching over Israel, slumbers not, nor sleeps." Love, Grandpa
ReplyDelete