"You will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."
(Acts 1:8)

Stepping to the ends of the earth to pursue God's heart in medicine.

____________________________________________________

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Prayer Request

I'm hoping I can solicit a prayer request here...

My roommate, Lisa (from MN, Wheaton College IL 2009), was accepted for last year's entering class. Shortly after she got into the school, her mom was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer. Thankfully she was able to defer for a year (thus the reason she's in my class and now my roommate!) to live at home with her twin sister and help her mom go through chemo. Last week, her mom returned to have her final tests done at Mayo where they discovered and biopsied a spot on her lungs. Yesterday, they received the results - her mom has a metastases to her lungs and now needs to decide on her treatment. The doctors predict that with intensive chemo (fluoruracil) she will have another year to live.

It has been a tough day, but I am amazed at the strength and peace Lisa exudes in the face of this news. I know she's been able to walk through the reality of the cancer for the past year, but I cannot say whether or not I would stay at school with such devastating news. In my helplessness within the situation I'm loving her all the ways I can - prayers and hugs and words and lots of home cooked comfort food. :)

In her words, "Please continue to pray for a miraculous healing for Mom, that she would make the best treatment decision, and that she would feel good for a long time. Our motto last year, modified from carpe diem ("seize the day" in Latin) was, “carpe the living daylights out of the diem.” None of us know which day will be our last, so it’s a good reminder to us all."

No comments:

Post a Comment