I'm here in medical school to gain knowledge - to become a physician who knows what to do and how to do it (or who to ask how to do it) and who will supposedly be a person that uses the knowledge to care, heal, and save lives someday. Our semester started last week and it's crammed with classes, seminars, extracurricular talks and volunteer opportunities. By June 30 I will have studied and hopefully passed Biostatistics, Epidemiology, Genetics, Physiology 1, Microbiology, Pharmacology 1, Pathology, Anthropology, Hematology and Endocrinology (not to mention medical Hebrew along the way), completing 1/4 of my medical degree. Sometimes while I'm sitting in a class or in my room studying I look to both sides just to double check that someone isn't going to pop out and call my bluff - laugh and ask me how they think I'll be qualified to go into a hospital and officially diagnose a sick child with influenza or write a prescription for antibiotics or be able to answer my attending during rounds in 3.5 more years. Not when I perpetually feel more like the clueless patient than the knowledgeable doctor.
As I have this inner-conversation with myself, I eventually reach the point where I take a deep breath and let my mind settle on one word: "knowledge" (if you hadn't guessed). But seriously. What is the root of knowledge? As is everything, that would be the LORD in His infinite wisdom - the source and author of life, and therefore of the knowledge we as beings pursue and acquire. And if He is the source of all knowledge - of all the answers in the Universe (Job 38) - and I am promised as His follower the fullness of God in the power and indwelling of His Spirit. Then at its very essence, I have within me all the knowledge and wisdom of God.
Sit on that.
So by this point in my thoughts I've missed a chunk of lecture or study time because I'm so utterly awed and astounded at the revelation of Christ. Unfortunately I too often brush past the awesome expanse of power in Christ's words and promises to His people. My faith is much smaller than a mustard seed (Matthew 17:20). But when I look further, I find it clearly isn't about harboring an encyclopedia of medical brilliance and breakthroughs. It's the Source of the knowledge - it's what that knowledge brings and my true, authentic pursuit of 'knowing' as part of the global Community...It's right here:
" 'And this is eternal life, that they know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent.'" (John 17:3 ESV)
Jesus' own words.
"For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse." (Romans 1:18-20 ESV)
[This was God's intention for Israel from the beginning - that they be a chosen people in order to be a light to the nations, to bring Him glory and make Him known. (Deut 7:6-11, Ezekiel 36: 22-32, 36) He continued that work through His disciples sent to make disciples of all nations (Mt 28:16-20).]
And it's not just me - in the absolution of His character - He has made Himself known to all people, He has given Himself and has unveiled the mysteries of God through Jesus. The temple curtain no longer covers the holy place, but rather we are invited to enter and commune with our Father as the blood of the Lamb and our High Priest atones for our sin in HIS presence. This presence that stood burning before Moses and commanded Him to hide his face in the rocks until He passed by - only allowing Him to see His back because the glory of His face was too great (Exodus 33:23).
Awesome is the revelation.
God is known among us here.
Loudest songs of exultation.
God is known among us here.
Who is this King of Glory?
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God.
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
His name is Jesus!
(Psalm 76 - The Glad Sound)
Come Lord Jesus, quickly COME. (Revelation 21)
"'Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved.'" (Acts 4:12)
"But God made the earth by his power; he founded the world by his wisdom and stretched out the heavens by his understanding. He is the Maker of all things, including Israel, the tribe of his inheritance--the LORD Almighty is his name." (Jeremiah 10:16)
THIS, this is knowledge - this is life. I am pledged to save life as I learn and study here. It seems to me there is much more to know than Anatomy and Physiology. That if I am truly to be committed to serving others as their physician, I should be committed to knowing my God, His heart, His Kingdom, His mission. His voice, His face. And only THEN will I be able to hold the knowledge and wisdom to serve as a healer.
Over Christmas I finally purchased an ESV Study Bible...it's amazing (and honestly, overwhelming) to sit with one verse and follow the cross-references and footnotes into a weaving pattern through the Old and New Testatment. But as I do, the plan for salvation for the Jews and Gentiles, the plan that has all along pointed to Jesus, is made known to me in new ways. And I've barely scratched the surface - I keep telling God it's going to take me longer than my whole life to read His Word and try to understand up to a mustard seed's worth of faith!
Missing everyone - it's certainly been easier to come back, but looking forward into the next 6 months - well, it's a long road. One of my favorite parts of break, aside from having my incredible, wise grandparents, uncle, and family around me at all times, was going to church and worshipping with the beloved community there. I had reached a point of tears of longing (and resonating with Paul's letters to the churches as he desires to visit them) by the time Christmas Eve came! I am forever thankful for the way God has given His people a family in His body while we live in this land groaning in hope of redemption (Romans 8:21-22), awaiting the New Jerusalem (Rev 21), a "heavenly country" (Hebrews 11).
(P.S. Yes, I am intentionally posting this on 1.11.11 and just barely missed hitting 11:11)
Tuesday, January 11, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Claire: As usual your blogs are uplifting and brighten my day.
ReplyDeleteI had a very emotional and dramatic anatomy professor. One day he wanted to demonstrate "fascia" so he jabbed his scalpel thru the arm of Paul Fry's lab coat. "See, fascia!" Paul's eyes got as big as saucers (he had red hair). When the professor moved on Paul pulled up his sleeve and he was bleeding (just a scratch). Love, Grandpa
Ah, the good ol days pre HIV.
ReplyDelete