"You will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."
(Acts 1:8)

Stepping to the ends of the earth to pursue God's heart in medicine.

____________________________________________________

Saturday, March 1, 2014

Bittersweet

Wrapping up time here is bittersweet. I've learned SO much, I've gained friendships and a new community that I don't want to leave behind. I'm also in a bit of denial about the huge life transition soon to hit with residency and the knowledge of where I'll be (Match Day is March 21st)...clinging to early afternoons and the concept of weekends, as well as the "student level of responsibility" in health care. Even if I am excited to finally move on into real practice. Real life.

I've always been like that though - comfortable in the familiar and tentative about the transitory phase of the unknown. That's one of the reasons I love being chiseled and challenged by this path I've chosen. Easy and comfortable lacks fullness of purpose in my mind.  It is instinctual.  So much of what I strive to do, to be, of Who I desire to serve is counter-intuitive. It takes intentionality counter to my laziness, sacrifice counter to my selfishness, and long hours of purposed study when I feel I'd be happier in a profession that allows me to play outside all day.  I love this adventure though, and hearing story after story of God's provision, leading, and authority form the missionary physicians serving here adds long-awaited depth to my vision for the future!


As I've finished my time here, I've had the opportunity to participate in an abundance of hands-on medical learning!

  • Assisted on 3 open pelvic repairs, a few amputations, and hand surgery
  • Suturing (lots of it!)
  • Spinal blocks for anesthesia - the last time was a success on my first try!
  • Intubation
  • Watched a pericardiocentesis on a patient with TB pericarditis and subsequent tamponade
  • Had 3 patients come in with some form of brain abscesses: 1 bilateral ring enhancement suspect for CNS TB
  • Watched a post-term 11.5lb baby with seizures and poor sucking keep fighting for his life despite the odds against him and the improvised NGT (no gestational diabetes tests here)
  • Sadly, seen too many premies pass away because of inadequate care or resources (no respirator or incubator)
  • Performed my 2nd C-Section from start to finish, and this time with less shaking and more deliberate sutures. I was so proud of my subdermal sutures to close! And baby was healthy. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment