Today as I cycled down the middle of the main road that heads toward Ashkelon (everything shuts down and cars are frowned upon), enjoying the empty streets and still-summer-desert-sunshine, I spent a lot of time thinking about the correlates between the law and grace. As Gentiles, much of the fullness of the Gospel and the 'intentionality' of God in crafting His plan of salvation is hidden because of our lack of understanding or pursuit of knowledge about the relationship God has with Israel. At the very least, the deep significance of the scripture that connects Jesus as our High Priest is dampened. Sometimes I feel like I've been called here more for a thorough and experiential education on the heart of God through all of Scripture than to be a medical student. :)
If you have the chance, read Hebrews 4:14-10:39... It outlines entirely why Jesus has become the atonement for sin, the pure and spotless Lamb of God.
Below is an excerpt. I'm humbled more and more as the Lord reveals how great His love and sufficient His grace are for me - and how deep His mercy that He should offer it again and again (to a stubborn and rebellious humanity).
"Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession...Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.
For every high priest chosen from among men is appointed to act on behalf of men in relation to God, to offer gifts and sacrifices for sins. He can deal gently with the ignorant and wayward, since he himself is beset with weakness. Beacuse of this he is obligated to offer sacrifice for his own sins just as he does for those of the people. And no one takes this honor for himself, but only when called by God, just as Aaron was. So also Christ did not exalt himself to be made a high priest, but was appointed by Him who said: "You are my Son, today I have begotten you" (Psalm 2:7), as He also says: "You are a preist forever, after the order of Melchizedek." (Psalm 110:4)
Now the first covenant had regulations for worship and an earthly place of holiness...the Holy Place and behind the second curtain was the Most Holy Place. Into the second only the high priest goes, and he but once a year [Yom Kippur], and not without taking blood, which he offers for himself and for the sins of the people. Indeed, under the law almost everything is purified with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sins.
But when Christ appeared as high priest, he entered once for all into the holy places by the new and living way that he opened through the curtain (c. Matthew 27:51), not by means of the blood of goats and calves but by means of his own blood, thus securing an eternal redemption."
Laying in the middle of the busy intersection. Just because I can. (Yom Kippur, 2010)(Soroka Hospital in the background )
Ah Claire, This is beautiful. The New and Living Way made for us by Christ. We now can enter into the Most Holy Place thanks to Christ, our High Priest who has gone before us and offers us this new and living way.
ReplyDeleteI was once blind but now i see! And the gentleness and lack of condemnation for the world that must be evident in my life. (And It must be....for we are not called to judge the world..and I must take any and all self-righteousness captive daily to the foot of Christ-1 Cor. 3:10) is a result of the ability to see that I, too, once was in darkness and am "beset with weakness" . But now in my weakness, I am made strong as a new creation through Christ's merciful atonement for me! His blood shed on my behalf. God's mercy for my sins. And through this merciful atonement, I have been reconciled to God! I am no longer His enemy, but I am now called a 'son' and enter into His Holy family, through Christ Jesus and the new creation as defined by the new covenant and New and Living Way Christ has created in my life. Thank you for your beautiful and encouraging words from the Word! Love you, Mom
PS Is this the busy intersection outside your apartment window???
ReplyDelete